Jim was working in our home office, when he heard a bang and perhaps reflection of a light. Being a baby boomer, he first ducked and covered, as it sounded like it was overhead.
Within seconds, he turned around and saw that an old 10,000 mAH power bank that was charging behind him on top of our filing cubbies had a cell explode and started a fire on top of the (paper littered) filing cubbies. He yelled “Fire!”, and Carol yelled “What?”, because she was indisposed. The team quickly assembled. The filing cubbies are modular, so Jim carried out the top shelf with most of the flaming bits out the front door. To extinguish the rest of the papers, Jim dumped all the filing cubbies contents on the floor. Carol first brought a fire extinguisher, but by this point we just need a pan of water to get the last bits of fire out.
We were really lucky. We used the power bank on Saturday for the power outage to charge a cell phone. Jim plugged it in to charge on Sunday. On Wednesday it exploded. If we had not been home (or perhaps even sleeping), our house could have burned down.
We will do a “Lessons learned” or “Best Practices” blog later.