At the high end, lithium ion batteries are are starting to replace deep cycle lead acid batteries with direct replacements. Deep cycle lithium ion batteries are now available – for a price. Lead acid batteries – around for over a century – are made from stacked lead plates. Lithium-ion batteries are built up from cells – similar to what you find in laptop computer batteries or Tesla vehicles. Expect to pay over $1000 for each deep cycle battery.
Below are the specs that Trojan shares on their Trillium Lithium ion batteries. So what will most people find attractive about these batteries? Their cycle life (5000 cycles at 70% discharge), and that they are maintenance free.
The key point from Trojan on Cell Design, Battery Design, and Electronics:
- Proven safest chemistry – Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)
- Longest life in its class – 5000 cycles at 70% discharge
- Highest capacity in its class
- US-based cell development
- Trojan-specific cell
- UN38.3; UL 1642; IEC 62133
- Easy replacement for lead acid deep cycle batteries
- Robust case, IP67 rating
- Automotive-grade safety protection
- Current sensor, fuse, temp. sensor
- Validated charger compatibility
- Visual State-of-Charge (SOC) gauge
- Microprocessor-based controls
- CAN-communications (TR 12.8-92 Li-Ion only)
- US-based development
The two Trillium batteries that PGH Batteries offer are:
- TR 12.8-92 Trojan 12V Trillium Lithium-Ion – 12V, 92 AH, $1,095
- TR 12.8-110 Trojan 12V Trillium Lithium-Ion – 12V, 110 AH, $1,294
To learn more about classic lead acid deep cycle batteries, read our blog here.